Saturday, December 20, 2008



“Contemplare et contemplata aliis tradere” 


Hello ladies and gentlemen of the world!  At the request of my spiritual director, I am setting out on this new project.  My main purpose in creating this blog is to reach out to many, in order to satisfy a pining desire to share with all who will listen...to all who will hear......the musings of my "dominican soul..."


“Contemplare et contemplata aliis tradere” is a Dominican motto, which means "to contemplate and share the fruits of contemplation."  This is my offering to you in creating this blog.  I do not pretend to be a master theologian, nor a gifted mystic.  In fact, I consider myself more of a "mysfit" than a mystic!  I am just a Dominican Soul who wishes to share with you the beauty that God grants me in meditations and reflections received in prayer before the Holy Eucharist.  And if God sees to using this little "mysfit" of His, to share what He gives to her in contemplation, than she is very happy!


 First off, I'd like to explain what a "Dominican Soul" is.  Or, better yet, let me direct you to the actual text which the good Sisters of  St. Cecilia posted on their website: 

 http://nashvilledominican.org/Charism/The_Dominican_Soul/index.htm


I wish to dedicate this blog to the Glory of the Holy Trinity, to the honor of the Ever Blessed Virgin Mary, and to my "Papa" St. Dominic. 


I also write from my heart in loving memory of my dear mom and brother.  May they rest in peace...






The 4th Sunday of Advent


I attended Mass tonight for the Sunday Vigil.  I will also be attending Mass accordingly on Sunday.  Tonight, I traveled 60 miles to attend Mass at the Cathedral of the Bishop in my Diocese.  It is a very grandiose Cathedral, yet smaller than most, and very intimate.  It is dedicated in honor to the Mother of God.  


I entered the Cathedral, and knelt to say a greeting to the Lord.  I try not to greet anyone else  before I greet Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament.  It was not always that you had "greeters" in a Catholic Church.  It has only been in recent times that greeters became a staple.  I suppose it is to satisfy those who feel we need to be greeted in God's house by another human being?  Or maybe, perhaps, the greeters are there for those who do not know the Lord is there to greet them in the Blessed Sacrament?  My dear mother taught me, when entering anybody's home,  you greet them corteously first before addressing any other visitors.  So, when I enter the House of God, I find it very important to greet Him first, before anyone else...in fact, greeters just get in my way...but hey, that's just me...


I was the first person in the confessional line.  It's a great feeling to be the first person.  I go to confession quite often.  In fact, I went about 3 times this week.  I go whenever the opportunity presents itself.  God knows I need it, and so opportunities abound for me...


After receiving absolution, in which Jesus Christ, who is present to us in the confessional and forgives us with the power he has given to His priests, I was washed clean in the Blood of the Lamb.  Walking into the pews, I knelt and presented my penance to the Lord.  I thanked Him profusely for His Mercy and  Forgiveness.  


Holy Mass began with the thunderous ancient of sounds created by the massive Pipe Organ.  "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel."  The song and the music filled my senses with awe as I imagined all of Heaven coming to greet Jesus as Mass began...


We hear in the First Reading and the Responsorial Psalm, the Covenant God promises David of an "Eternal Kingship."  This is in reference to Jesus Christ, who will be born of David's lineage (St. Joseph is of the House of David, and although St. Joseph is not Jesus' natural father, he was wed to the Blessed Mother, she who gave birth to the Son of God.)  


In the Second Reading, St. Paul writes of "the revelation of the mystery which was kept secret for long ages..." and declares that revelation to be Jesus Christ, Son of God.  


And now for the Gospel:



Luke 1: 26 - 38

In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth,
to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.
And he came to her and said, "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you!"
But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and considered in her mind what sort of greeting this might be.
And the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.
And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus.
He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David,
and he will reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there will be no end."
And Mary said to the angel, "How shall this be, since I have no husband?"
And the angel said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God.
And behold, your kinswoman Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son; and this is the sixth month with her who was called barren.
For with God nothing will be impossible."
And Mary said, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." And the angel departed from her.

St. Luke writes beautifully of the Annunciation of the Angel Gabriel to the Blessed  Mother.  Gabriel greets her, "Hail Mary."  If it's good enough for the angel Gabriel, it's good enough for us Catholics to repeat those words also! (Sorry, Protestants!)  The Gospel is the fulfillment of the Covenant that God made with the Prophet David.  And as we notice, Our Lady does not hesitate; she just has that one question for the angel on how it was all to come to be.  And she answers with her whole heart and soul:  "Behold I am the handmaid of the Lord, let it be done to me according to your word."


AS i received Jesus at this Mass, I was overcome with the image of the Babe who Our Lady gave birth to 2,000 years ago.  How amazing that we are able to touch the Baby Jesus as we receive Him in Holy Communion!  And my face was streaked with tears in the reflection that HE remains with  us always, in the temples we build Him, and in our hearts when we receive Him.  How does it all come to be?  Lord, we don't understand it, but , "let it be done according to Your Word!"

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Congratulations and best wishes on starting up your blog. Keep writing, I'll be reading!

    ReplyDelete