Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Anniversary of my First Holy Communion

It was 31 years ago today that I first tasted the Sweetness of Our Lord! The Most Holy Eucharist is the Source and Summit of our lives as Catholics. Without Him, we would hunger and thirst, we would die of starvation.

I have tried my very best to have always received Him worthily, and never lacking appreciation. I don't take Him for granted.

I highly recommend reading the Encyclical of Pope John Paul II titled, "Ecclesia de Eucharistia"
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/special_features/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_20030417_ecclesia_eucharistia_en.html

What I find so remarkable, is how the Holy Eucharist is prophesied in the Old Testament, and is clearly defined in the New. How can others dismiss this gift of Our Lord Jesus?

In Luke 24: 13-35, we read that two disciples unknowingly meet Jesus on their way to Emmaus. Their hearts burn as Jesus explains to them in detail the Holy Scriptures regarding the Prophesy of the Messiah. BUT, it wasn't until the breaking of the bread, were their eyes opened and they recognized Him! So, it isn't only with the Holy Scriptures will we be nourished, but really and truly to FEAST on the Flesh and Blood of Christ who is the Holy Eucharist! It is in the Bread, which St. Paul says is "real Food" and the Wine, which St. Paul says is "real Drink" that we come to know Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour!

Here are a few quotes for meditation on the Most Holy Eucharist:


"If we but paused for a moment to consider attentively what takes place in this Sacrament, I am sure that the thought of Christ's love for us would transform the coldness of our hearts into a fire of love and gratitude."

- St. Angela of Foligno

"What wonderful majesty! What stupendous condescension! O sublime humility! That the Lord of the whole universe, God and the Son of God, should humble Himself like this under the form of a little bread, for our salvation"

"...In this world I cannot see the Most High Son of God with my own eyes, except for His Most Holy Body and Blood."

- St. Francis of Assisi

I hunger for the bread of God, the flesh of Jesus Christ ...; I long to drink of his blood, the gift of unending love.

- St. Ignatius of Antioch

"How many of you say: I should like to see His face, His garments, His shoes. You do see Him, you touch Him, you eat Him. He gives Himself to you, not only that you may see Him, but also to be your food and nourishment."

- St. John Chrysostom

And finally:


"Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him. Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever." ---John 6:53
The Words of Jesus Christ Himself proclaim that HE is the Holy Eucharist!
Long Live Christ the King in my heart and soul forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment