Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remembering 9/11



I had not even been in the convent for one month. My postulant class had to go to campus that morning, I didn't. So, I took advantage of my "free" time to do extra duties around the Motherhouse and to go to adoration with the Novices. When adoration was over, I was met in the stairwell by Sr. Mary. She whispered something to me, which was odd, because we were in silence...I had to listen harder...she whispered a little louder..."I said, we are under attack, Sister!" And I wasn't sure what she meant, but I saw the terror in her face...and I knew something terrible was happening to our beloved country. She then directed me upstairs to the Novitiate community room, and there I saw some of the Novices who had just left the chapel, and the Superiors with their eyes glued to the tv sets, and some were crying...

The Mother General wouldn't have known this was happening had it not been for the retired Sisters in the infirmary. They had called down a few minutes after the attacks occurred, because they couldn't find "The Price is Right" and instead, as one little old sister put it, "The same thing is playing on all the channels..." As soon as Mother became aware of what was happening, she had the television sets in the community rooms turned on so all Sisters could watch...

When my postulant class came home, we all went back into the chapel for a special call to prayer. I remember feeling very numb, and thinking that it was somewhat providential that this would be happening just weeks after entering the convent. I remember my conversation with the Lord...and after praying for the souls of those who were dead and dying, their families, and for my own (because we didn't know if the acts of terror would continue...and where next?) I prayed for the nation and the world and Holy Mother Church...I was determined to be a reflection of Jesus Christ in this world, knowing that the darkness that held the world in captivity could only be conquered by the Love of God...it all begins with us, individually...and collectively as the Body of Christ on earth...if we Catholics do not live up to our faith as we should...the world can very well... be lost...

that was 9 years ago...and I feel like I have done nothing to contribute to making this world a holier place...it's an ongoing struggle...and everytime this anniversary comes around...I renew my determination to make it a better year for all those in my life, my family, my coworkers, my parish...and to all those God deems to enter into my path, whether they be Muslim, or Jew, or Protestant, or Atheist...

...and I thank God, I know it's not too late...



No comments:

Post a Comment